We understand that traveling with your bikes can sometimes be a necessity. Whether you are driving across the country, or just to the shop to fix a flat, there are a few important qualities that a dependable bike rack needs. When you factor these in, finding a good rack is as easy as 1,2,3!
1. Support your bike from the wheelbase
- This is very important due to the increased weight of ebikes
- Bike racks that support from the wheelbase are the most secure, and work with all frame types
2. Mount your rack to a hitch
- Hitch racks are the only type that can support the increased weight of ebikes. If you have two ebikes, you may need up to 140 lbs weight rating
- Not all hitch mounted racks have appropriate weight ratings, make sure to read the specifications before purchasing
Tip: Your ebike battery weighs about 8lbs. Removing it will make the bike easier to load and will give you more flexibility with rack weight ratings. Be sure to protect the battery terminals from the elements.
3. No lifting required
- Ebikes are heavy - many hitch racks come with a loading ramp to reduce risk of unwanted damage from drops or impacts, heavy lifting and awkward movements.
Some examples of platform, hitch mount bike racks are:
If you are still thirsting for knowledge on transporting your bike, feast your eyes on Say Insurance's insights below:
Current Ride1Up owners often make recommendations for car racks in the Facebook Ride1Up Ebike Owners group. They share the latest and greatest on pricing, features, and what is in stock. Thanks for reading!